-
September 6th, 2005, 04:13 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Well, Lissie arrived today... I am pleased and not so pleased at the same time... the tags on her dress say 1993 Made in china for pleasant company... but she totally smells like smoke! GRR Any way to get the smell off of her? I am going to hand wash her clothing and I think that will be a big help.. she also has a few marks on her forehead but I think they will come off with the old baking soda trick......
-
September 6th, 2005, 04:25 PM
#2
Inactive Member
I guess I am just worried about her body... will the smoke get to it and ruin it? If thats the case and she is as old as the dress says, then its been about 10 years and her body still looks good...
-
September 6th, 2005, 05:07 PM
#3
Inactive Member
I don't think the smoke will ruin her body, but I know I would not be able to take the smell. I'm sure there will be some experts on soon who can tell you how to remove it.
Maybe a search for "removing smoke" might turn up something.
-
September 6th, 2005, 05:07 PM
#4
Inactive Member
http://www.pbase.com/wrx_gal/inbox I posted a few pix up of her... sorry to post them of her naked lol but the body has no tags and is very soft.... her hair isnt as red as what the picture shows, its from the flash or reflection from the sun... just wondering for your felicity experts out there if you could tell me more about her... like if she really is from 1995, etc... I noticed the PLEASANT COMPANY on the back of her neck appears larger than the more recent ones and is the same as my Sam from the early 90's when I compare..... guess Im just looking for expert advice! Thanks in advance! [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
September 6th, 2005, 05:12 PM
#5
Inactive Member
This may sound a little drastic to you, but I've done this and it really works!
First, undress her and spray her top to toe with Febreze, hair and all, being careful to protect her eyes, of course. Then, loosen her neckstrings, and take out her stuffing. spread it all out on a large flattened-out trash bag, and spray her stuffing with the Febreze, turning it over to be sure to get it all really well. Now let the stuffing dry really well, turning it from time to time, since down next to the plastic bag the air doesn't get to it so well.
While the stuffing is drying out, take her head and hold it upside down, and check to see if it got sprayed thoroughly. If not, spray it some more, being careful of her eyes as always, and place it face-to-the-wall (right-side up)in your bathroom towel rack, so you can spread her hair to dry. Make sure her body has been sprayed thoroughly, and hang it by the feet to dry, so there won't be any waterstaining.
Now, you can handwash her clothes in Woolite, and hang them to dry. (Once dry, you can iron her dress.)
When everything has dried out, re-stuff her, put on her head, tie her neckstrings, and redress her, and--Voila! Fresh-smelling Lissie, from top to toe! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
P.S. When restuffing, be sure to put some stuffing on the tops of her shoulders so they'll look natural; and don't forget to tidy her hair with a Pleasant Company brush! Good luck! [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
September 6th, 2005, 05:19 PM
#6
Inactive Member
There was a post floating around that showed how to machine wash the body by taking off the head, closing the neck opening, putting the body in a pillow case and washing in on the gentle cycle.. It also sounds drastic but I think that it may take out the smoke smell. I'd see if someone else here has the link that that website that explaines the whole body and hair washing technique. Good luck with your new Felicity [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
September 6th, 2005, 05:47 PM
#7
HB Forum Owner
I would suggest using something like oust because it actually will eat at the bacteria that causes the odor. Another product i have seen... no clue how it works is urine gone. I imagine if it can get rid of urine smell it can take care of smoke. But like with all cleaning products... before you start spraying up a storm... take a little bit of it and try it on a unnoticable part of the cloth... like the crouch area... just to be sure you aren't going to deal with discolorations.
-
September 6th, 2005, 05:49 PM
#8
Inactive Member
I would like to maybe try the machine wash... I am too afraid to take off her head though! It worries me, will I be able to get it back on the same way? Also, Im soaking the clothing in Ivory and the smell seems to have disappeared, but I can still smell it on my fingers... yuk... if anyone knows where I can find the machine wash instructions, I would be very appreciative! Thanks
-
September 6th, 2005, 06:25 PM
#9
Inactive Member
I also just found she has the same weird markings behind her right ear, just like my old samantha has... Im wondering... her hair has never been taken out of its original style, but if I was to wash it and stuff would it lose its natural curl along with the cute pin curls along her face? Her hair looks dusty, and I could probably bring out the shine if I washed it, but Im too afraid of ruining her...
-
September 6th, 2005, 08:05 PM
#10
Inactive Member
Don't be afraid to take her head off--it's held on simply by the drawstrings in the back--very easy.
The markings behind her right ear is most likely the artist's mark (Many look like #e), which is closest it comes to absolute proof of being pre-Mattel.
About machine washing--She's your doll, and others have machine-washed, but AG cautions "not to give your doll a bath"--I think maybe the water is bad for the stuffing, and it takes a long time for a stuffed doll body to dry out. Just my humble opinion.
Washing her hair, however, will do no harm; AG says to use cool water and a mild dish soap. The curl should stay in, but if by any chance it doesn't, just mist with water and roll the ends on sponge rollers; let dry overnight, and the ends will curl under again. Good luck with your new PM Lissie! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks